Monday, February 21, 2011

Earthquake Swarm at in Arkansas Still Not Understood

There has been quite an earthquake swarm in Arkansas, as I have mentioned before. Still, weeks into it, experts still do not understand why these quakes are happening. Some think that there is a possible correlation between some gas drilling in the area and the quakes, but it's not a sure deal. This article states that these quakes are not linked to the New Madrid system, which, as I have mentioned, is a rift that produces very powerful quakes. I'd like to share the ma below, and you'll even see some micro-quakes north of the Arkansas swarm. those to the north east are centered within the New Madrid system, and the pinpointed spot of several earthquakes in arkansas is to the south west. This is a very interesting map, and I also suggest googling New Madrid Earthquake and you'll learning something amazing.

And just now, I just heard about the 6.3 in Christchurch that did so much damage and killed some people. It happened about five hours ago. It's surprising that a mere 6.3 could cause so much damage. I'm seeing the images now.

Here in the Coachella Valley, I'm feeling subtle small earthquakes.

Map Centered at 37°N, 90°W

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/26943255/detail.html

No comments:

Post a Comment